- The development co-ordinators make every effort to involve the extension officers of the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries in the study group meetings.
- Some of the topics that are discussed are: Soil acidity; food security; weed control; soil and climate; soil conservation and soil moisture conservation; calibration of sprayers; plant nutrient requirements; pest control; and several more
Trials are a wonderful way of showing farmers the right thing to do. The development co-ordinators in the various regions make contact with the input supply companies and involve them in the trials. Every effort is made to plant and manage the trials in a way that is both progressive and technologically advanced, while at the same time within the reach of the developing farmers.
Farmer's days and partnerships with other role-players:
It is crucial that the farmers should be exposed to a local network of support that will be available to them in the longer term. During farmer's days, all role-players and stakeholders in the industry are invited to participate - to give lectures on their areas of expertise and become acquainted with the farmers.
Developing Grain Farmer of the Year Competition:
Several categories exist in which developing farmers can participate. These are:
- Subsistence category - Refers to farmers who are producing maize on less than ten hectares
- Smallholder category - Refers to those grain farmers who are producing grain on more than ten hectares, but not yet reached the 250 ton mark
- New Era Developing category - Refers to those farmers who are producing 250 tons or more
Support to advanced and black commercial farmers
Farmers develop at different rates and those who are making good progress need to be serviced on a one-on-one basis on their own farms. We assist them with the development of a tailor made business plan for their farm, as well as detailed support throughout the season.
To date, the following training courses have been developed:
- Basic Maize Production
- Introduction courses to Maize Production; Sunflower Production; Sorghum Production; Soybean Production; Wheat Production; and Barley Production
- Advanced courses in Maize and Sunflower Production and Marketing
- Introdudtion to Irrigation of Maize
- Introduction to the Irrigation of Wheat
- Workshop Skills Development Course: Workshop Tools
- Technical Competence Course: Calibration of Planters and Sprayers
- Basic Engine Repair
- Maintenance: Tractors and Farm Implements
- Maintenance on High Application Tractors
- On-farm Maintenance and Support: Tractors and Implements
- Maintenance Course on High Application Tractors
- Mechanisation Management
- Resource Assessment and Farm Planning
- Farm Management for Profits
- Business Ethics and Farm Management
- Contractors Course
- Tractor Drivers Course
- Setting of Implement
For more information, contact Willie Kotze at firstname.lastname@example.org